Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Phone Booth Shirt Dress Tutorial

I know that you all have been patiently waiting for this grand tutorial so here it is. :)


A couple months ago we found these shirts at Wal Mart for $1 so we bought 5 of them for the little girls to wear to the Pioneer Days Celebration.


So here's what I did.

Take a shirt that fits and use it for the pattern.  This is a shirt for the babies (12 months).


I don't know if you can see my marks but I basically just marked wear the arm holes and the top of the shirt would be so I would have an idea wear to cut.  Don't forget to add about an inch for hems and seam allowances.  I always have a hard time making all of the sides the same when I cut so I folded the shirt in half and cut through all layers at the same time. 


Then I sewed up the sides and hemmed the arm holes.  I stitched twice along the arm holes so they would lay a little flatter.


Then I cut 1" strips of material (2 strips of white, 1 strip of red from an old T-shirt that I was throwing away).  Braid the strips together and using your original shirt measure how long you'll need the straps.  Sew the two ends of the braided strap together.  Fold the back of the shirt over your strap and stich along the bottom.  I gathered the back just a bit but you wouldn't have to.


Now all you have to do is hem the bottom where you want it and you're done.  Super easy and fast.

And if you try the finished project on your little model and find that the straps are too long you could just fold it up in the back like I had to with Joselyn's.  (Can you tell from this picture?)
(Cute little buns huh?)


It was super hot outside so it was nice to have a thin shirt that wasn't too hot.  They even worked great while playing in the park.


Oh and we also braided some red and white straps for flip flops.


Of course we had to finish the look off with lip gloss.  Let's be real, this girl doesn't leave the house without having lip gloss with her.  Crazy child.


They were even good outfits to take a little nap in.

I thought the girls looked super cute and it was a lot faster than some of the previous years outfits so that was nice.



If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment or email me at rufflesandmudpuddles@hotmail.com.



Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

Maisy said...

Very cute Kristin! Debbie was looking at this with me and she just kept saying ohh, and ahh, lol.